Skip to main content

BREIZAS Estate for your holiday in Spain

Air Conditioned Spanish Villas (2 and 3 bedroom), Alcosseber

Home  Breizas House  Breizas Cottage  Breizas Swimming Pool  Breizas Terraces  Garden  Local Activities  Contact Us  Travel Information   
Adventure Circuit
Beaches
Caves
Diving
Fiestas
Go Karting
Golf Courses
Mountain Biking
Music Festival
Garden of Parrots
Places of Interest
Spa
Theme Park
Waterpark
Restaurants
Sailing
Alcala De Xivert
If one wants to discover the past of the people, a visit to the town of Alcalà de Xivert, the nucleus of Alcossebre is a must.
In Alcalà, a visit to Sant Joan Baptista parish curch is a must. On the right hand side of the church’s exterior is the bell tower, the tallest in the former Valencian kingdom (1784-1803). The Renaissance-style Municipal Arts Centre is in Calle de la Virgen de los Desamparados

Peniscola

Peníscola, often called the Gibraltar of Valencia, is a fortified seaport, with a lighthouse, built on a rocky headland about 220 feet (67 m) high, and joined to the mainland by only a narrow strip of land (Peníscola is a local evolution of Latin peninsula). Built originally between 1294 and 1307 by the Knights Templar, in the fourteenth century it was garrisoned by the Knights of Montesa, and in 1420 it reverted to the Crown. From 1415 it was the home of the schismatic Avignon pope Benedict XII (Pedro de Luna), whose name is commemorated in the Bufador de Papa Luna, a curious cavern with a landward entrance through which the seawater escapes in clouds of spray.

The castle where Benedict lived from 1417 until his death in 1423 was restored, improved and new walls were added in 1960 when Anthony Mann's film El Cid was partially filmed there. The town and castle of Peníscola played the role of Valencia. The castle is built on the highest place in the town.Built by the Templars on the remains of an old Arab citadel. The castle was built with stone work walls.The majority of the rooms have barrel arch roofs.It is a serious and solid construction. The Papa Luna, after his transfer to Peñíscola in 1411, converted the castle into a pontifical palace and library.


Morella
The walled village of Morella offers a monumental sight to the visitor. It is, beyond doubt, the most interesting Gothic city in the Autonomous Community of Valencia.

The two-and-a-half-kilometre-long wall, marked by six gates, speaks of the legendary invulnerability of the town. At present, it houses several specialised museums. The visitor should not miss the Gothic archpriestal church of Santa María, with its exceptional choir; the convent of San Francisco, also Gothic; and the castle compound. Likewise, other essential activities that the visitor should not miss include a visit to the City Hall and the old prison; a walk through the steep streets lined with Blasco de Alagón's porches; a circular journey through the mountain, following Alameda boulevard; and a visit to the medieval aqueduct of Santa Llúcia.

There are two interesting spots that stand out in the municipality of Morella: the cave paintings at Morella La Vella, and the sanctuary of Virgen de Vallivana. Every six years, since 1673, the virgin is carried up to the city in a big procession. Along the hard shoulder of the road, a number of chapels still remain, where pilgrims hold prayers and rogations during their twenty-two-kilometre-long walk.


Castellon de la Plana

Castellón de la Plana (in Catalan Castelló de la Plana) is the capital city of the province of Castellon, in the Valencian Community, Spain, in the east of the Iberian Peninsula, on the Costa del Azahar by the Mediterranean Sea (40°N 0°W). Population: approx. 170,000

The first known building in the area was the Moorish castle of Fadrell, near the Alquerías de La Plana. The town proper was officially founded in 1251, after the conquest of the Moorish Kingdom of Valencia by King James I of Aragon in 1233. James granted royal permission to move the town from the mountain to the plain on September 8, 1251, and tradition claims that the move was completed by the third Sunday of Lent, 1252. During the Middle Ages, the city was protected by moats, walls and towers, and a church was built, later becoming a cathedral. In the 17th century the town was one of the last strongholds in the Revolta de les Germanies (local guilds). It also supported Archduke Charles of Austria in the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-14), but was later taken by the troops of Philip d'Anjou.

In the 19th century, the city walls were torn down and it slowly began to expand, a process interrupted by the War of Independence against Napoleon (1804-14) and the Carlist Wars (1833-63). In 1833 Castellón became the capital of the newly constituted province. In the second half of the 19th century, the city again began to expand, marked by the arrival of the railway, the enlargement of the port and the construction of representative buildings (Provincial Hospital, Casino, Theatre) and parks.

In 1991 a university (Jaume I University) was established, set upon a modern campus. The local economy is based on industry and craft-work

Most of the historical buildings are located in the diminutive old town, around the Plaza Mayor (Main Square). These include:

  • The Gothic Concatedral de Santa Maria (Procathedral of Saint Mary), built in the 13th century and reconstructed one century later after destruction by fire. The present building is another reconstruction after the demolition ordered by the council during the Spanish civil war (1936).
  • The Ayuntamiento (City Hall), erected at the beginning of the 18th century. It features a pretty Tuscan-style facade rising up over a colonnade.
  • The standing bell-tower of the procathedral, known as El Fadrí (the single one), built at the turn of the 17th century.
  • The Llotja del Cànem (Hemp Exchange Market), built during the first half of the 17th century to be used by traders in hempen cloth and ropes, a very important activity in the area at the time. Today the building is used by the University for cultural events and temporary exhibitions.
  • On the northeast edge of the town, at the end of a broad avenue decorated with orange trees, stands the Basilica of Santa María del Lledó (European Hakberry or Celtis australis), a basilica devoted to an image of the Virgin Mary found in 1366 by a farmer when he was ploughing his lands. The original 14th-century chapel was extended to its present Baroque form during the 16th century. The complex is surrounded by a landscaped garden.


The City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia

The city of Arts and Sciences complex includes four buildings:

  • L'Hemispheric is a Laserium
  • Planetarium and IMAX cinema
  • Science Museuem where it is forbidden not to touch
  • L'Oceanographic is a giant marine park (Aquarium)
  • Palau de les Arts is an Opera House